Phnom Penh airport’s former name was Pochentong International Airport (Khmer: អាកាសយានដ្ឋានអន្តរជាតិពោធិ៍ចិនតុង).
On 6 July 1995, the Royal Government of Cambodia (RGC) signed a concession agreement with the French–Malaysian joint venture company Société Concessionaire d’Aéroport (SCA), to operate Phnom Penh (PNH) – Pochentong International Airport. In return for a 20-year concession, SCA—70 percent owned by Groupe GTM and 30 percent by Muhibbah Masterron of Malaysia—committed to a $100 million improvement program that includes the construction of a new runway, terminal and cargo buildings, hangars, installation of a Cat III level Instrument Landing System (ILS) and associated approach lighting.
The Berger Group was selected by the RGC to provide independent engineering services during the concession, to audit the design and to advise on the practicality and cost of the concession’s proposed improvements. The Berger team also supervised the initial works to accommodate widebody aircraft such as 747s, including asphalt concrete runway overlays; installation of new ILS, metrological equipment, runway lighting and generator and power systems; and construction of a new fire station, taxiway and turn-pad extensions.
Following the successful completion of the initial works, the Berger team provided design review and independent engineering services for the construction of a new 20,000-square-metre (220,000 sq ft) terminal building to accommodate growing tourist traffic. The $20 million terminal building includes four mobile aerobridges, over 1000 auto parking spaces and VIP and CIP facilities.
The airport also has a Dairy Queen inside. It is one of the first international franchises that have opened up in Cambodia. Also, the first Starbucks Coffee, in Cambodia, has also just been opened in the new terminal.